SEC Opener: LSU vs. Mississippi State Predictions & Odds

Get ready for a showdown in the wild world of college football as LSU clashes with Mississippi State in the SEC opener! Who’s got the edge, you ask? Well, let’s dive into the crystal ball (or rather, ESPN’s SP+ prediction model) and see what it’s cooking up.

Battle of the Bayou: LSU vs. Mississippi State

LSU vs. Mississippi State picks, predictions: Week 3 college football computer picks, odds, lines - College Football HQ

In this corner, we have LSU, looking to bounce back after an iffy 1-1 start to the season. They’re hitting the road, heading to Mississippi State for a game that promises to have more twists than a mystery novel.

Mississippi State is in the midst of a reboot, now under the watchful eye of Coach Zach Arnett after the legendary Mike Leach’s departure. They’ve traded in the Air Raid for some old-school, smash-mouth football, and it seems to be working. They’ve been churning out 221.5 rushing yards per game, which is about as rare as finding a unicorn in your backyard.

LSU, on the other hand, recovered from an opening-game hiccup against Florida State by dismantling Grambling State in a 72-10 home debut. Jayden Daniels, their quarterback extraordinaire, is rocking a 66 percent completion rate with six touchdowns and just one pesky interception. Now, they’re packing their bags and setting out to defend their SEC West title.

SP+ Predicts a Nail-Biter

LSU vs. Mississippi State picks, predictions: Week 3 college football computer picks, odds, lines - College Football HQ

So, what’s the prediction? According to ESPN’s SP+ model (the one Bill Connelly waves around like a wand), LSU is taking the W, but it’s as close as a game of Jenga on a wobbly table. They’re calling it 29-28, with a margin so thin it makes a slice of prosciutto look like a thick steak. LSU’s chances? A modest 53 percent.

Betting Odds and Fun Facts

Now, let’s talk turkey. LSU is strutting in as the favorite, with a 9.5-point spread, according to SI Sportsbook. That’s like starting a race with a 10-yard head start – not too shabby!

Fancy some numbers? The FPI prediction model gives Jayden Daniels and his Tigers a 67.4 percent chance of victory, leaving the Bulldogs with a 32.6 percent shot at causing an upset. But hey, remember, it ain’t over till it’s over in college football.

Where the Money’s Going

Feeling lucky? Well, if you’re into betting, it seems like 59 percent of folks are putting their money on LSU to cover the spread. Meanwhile, 41 percent are daring enough to bet on the Bulldogs at +9.5. It’s like a high-stakes game of roulette, but with less spinning and more sweating.

Betting Trends and Curious Stats

LSU vs. Mississippi State picks, predictions: Week 3 college football computer picks, odds, lines - College Football HQ
Original public domain image from Flickr

Let’s take a peek at some interesting trends:

  • LSU is 4-1 against the spread in its last 5 against Mississippi State.
  • But, LSU is a bit of a road warrior, going 2-5 ATS in its last 7 away games.
  • LSU has a strong history against MSU, boasting a 10-1 SU record in their last 11 road matchups.
  • Mississippi State, however, has its own tricks, going 4-1 against the spread in their last 5 overall.
  • But, they stumble when it comes to SEC teams, going 1-4 ATS in their last 5 against them.
  • And if you’re into totals, the under has hit in 4 of the Bulldogs’ last 5 games.The scoreboard seems to be being used as a game of hide and seek.

    Game Day Specifics

    Observers, mark your calendars! On September 16th at 11 a.m. Central Time, there will be an epic battle. It’s going to be a roller coaster, so grab your popcorn and lucky jersey.

    Incapable of making it to the stadium? not an issue You may watch it live on fuboTV (and yes, you can give it a try for free), or if you want to stay in front of the television, ESPN network has you covered.

    Do you feel lucky? Betting on the game

  • LSU vs. Mississippi State picks, predictions: Week 3 college football computer picks, odds, lines - College Football HQ
  • Numerous locations are willing to accept your wagers if you’re eager to join in the fun. Aside from generous incentives, FanDuel, DraftKings, Bet365, and Points Bet all provide the opportunity to profit a little bit while taking in some college football mayhem.

    So there you go, everyone! As LSU and Mississippi State square off in the SEC season opener, be ready for a wild ride of a game. May the greatest Tigers or Bulldogs triumph, and may all of your bets come to fruition!


1. Who will start as quarterback for LSU in this contest?

Jayden Daniels, the starting quarterback for LSU in this game, is heading into this contest with an incredible six touchdowns and a 66 percent completion percentage.

2. What is Zach Arnett’s new offensive strategy at Mississippi State?

Coach Zach Arnett has led Mississippi State away from the Air Raid system and toward a more rugged offensive style. Since making this adjustment, the team’s recent victories have seen an average of 221.5 running yards per game.

3. What score is predicted for the match by ESPN’s Bill Connelly’s SP+ prediction model?

According to the SP+ prediction model, LSU will beat Mississippi State by a score of 29 to 28, giving them a 53 percent probability of victory.

4. What are the game’s betting odds?

According to SI Sportsbook, LSU is 9.5-point favorite going into the contest. LSU is also predicted to win by the FPI prediction model, which gives them a 67.4% chance of doing so.

5. When and where will the LSU vs. Mississippi State game be broadcast?

At 11 a.m. Central Time on Saturday, September 16, the game will be broadcast on the ESPN network. FuboTV also streams it live, and a number of betting sites let you place bets on the game.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: